today I want to share with you a little part of my operativity tricks.
Since the release of the first build 6xx a lot of things in the MetaTrader 4 platform has been moved.
Before build 6xx fundamentally everything you needed to run MT4 was within the installation directory and you could easily “clone” that platform with a simple “copy&paste” of the folder.
Now it is no longer that way as indicators/EAs/libraries/etc are by default installed in a “per user” directory (“C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming…”).
If you, like me, want to come back and having a “portable” version of the MT4 platform here’s how you can do it.
- Install the MT4 platform of your broker (if you haven’t done it already)
- It should create an icon on your desktop, right click it and select “Open File Location”. This should bring you to the directory where you should be able to see various directories (config/history/logs… etc). There you’ll find the most important file that is the “terminal.exe”. This is the MT4 Application
- Right click the “terminal.exe” file and select “create shortcut”. This should create a “terminal.exe …” file that is a “link” to the original one
- Right click the shortcut you just created and select “Properties”
- In the “Target” field, go to the very end of it and add ” /portable” (without quotation marks! and with a space in front of it). So for example your Target now it should be: “C:\Program Files\MT4 Broker\terminal.exe” /portable
- Close the Properties and rename the shortcut to something like “MT4 PORTABLE” or whatever you want
- Double click the “shortcut” and the MT4 platform should open but this time in portable mode. This means that everything you’ll need will be within that “MT4 Broker” folder and indicators/EAs/libraries/etc. will be places into the newly created “MQL4″ directory.
- Now you can copy&paste that platform as you want. You can place it into a USB key so that you’ll have all your platforms handy and able to trade on any PC.
All the indicators, EAs, libraries and includes have to be copied into the related directory INSIDE the “MQL4″ one!
If you want a multi-broker platform you can copy the “.srv” files from the “config” directory of any broker into the “config” file of this portable directory so that when you start a new demo account or use a live one, it does let you choose the server you want to use for it and it can be from any of the brokers with the “.srv” files in that folder.
I hope you find this trick useful and let me know if and how you’re going to use it.
Have a good trading day,